Monday, September 24, 2012

Lime Glazed Shrimp and Pineapple Kabobs

I am always looking for simple, flavorful meals to include in my weekly menu plan. Whether it be clipping recipes out of newspapers or the updated Pinning recipes on Pinterest, I seem to have a steady supply of new to me recipes to try. The unfortunate thing is that some of these recipes will sit in a pile (or a pin board) for months, even years, before I try them. I was doing really good for a while where I was trying a new recipe each week and if we liked it, I would add it to my recipe collection and if it was not a hit, well, then we got rid of it or made notes on how to tweak it for next time.

One recipe that I clipped from some paper, at some point, was for Shrimp and Pineapple Kabobs. The use of lime and hot peppers just sounded delicious to me. It also seemed like a very quick to prepare meal that I could create with ingredients that I have on hand - Pineapple in the pantry and Shrimp in the freezer. Of course, you can use fresh pineapple and even shrimp that hasn't been frozen.

Lime Glazed Shrimp and Pineapple Kabobs

3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice
4 teaspoons butter
1 tablespoon ginger
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno chiles
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds shrimp peeled
1 can pineapple chunks in juice

Combine the brown sugar, lime juice, butter, ginger, jalapeno, and salt in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes until syrupy.

Arrange pineapple and shrimp on skewers (I use stainless steel ones, but the bamboo ones would work).
Spray with some cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Grill kabobs, brushing with the glaze, for about 2 minutes on each side, until the shrimp is cooked through.

I like to serve it with a side of rice. To give the rice a little extra pizzazz. I like to add some of the pineapple and juice to the rice, while it cooks. When it comes to warm pineapple, you simply can't have enough!



Disclaimer

No comments: