Sunday, February 2, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Soup

I am a big fan of meals that are full of flavor. One of my favorites is buffalo wings. I recognized young that although I could eat my weight in wings, that it wasn't the best or healthiest option for me. So, I had to learn to enjoy them in moderation. It helped me find other ways to enjoy the flavor that they offer.

I started to get a side of sauce and extra celery when I got wings, so that I could enjoy some wings but then continue to enjoy the flavor in a better for me way by dipping my celery in the sauce. It was also a great way to try some of the other sauces that they offered without committing to it.

I started ordering buffalo chicken salads, made with grilled chicken that had been covered in the sauce.

I started enjoying grilled chicken breasts with buffalo sauce, with a side of a tasty steamed vegetable.

I learned that I could thoroughly enjoy the flavor of buffalo wings without the calorie commitment of the wings.
Then, recently, I found a soup recipe that turned out to be a great way to enjoy the flavor. As an added bonus, I was able to make it in my crock pot and it was so warm on those very cold winter days we have been having. And, as an added bonus, it was only 180 calories for a serving!

I am thinking about making up a batch to serve during the Super Bowl.
Buffalo Chicken Soup
Serves: 8

Ingredients:
1/4 cup onions, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 carrots peeled
32 ounces chicken broth
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
1 packet ranch salad dressing mix
1/2 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
2/3 cup buffalo sauce
4 ounces Cheddar cheese shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions:

In a pan, saute your onions, garlic and carrots. Add the chicken broth, chicken and packet of ranch mix. Bring to a boil and add the orzo and buffalo sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes. Add cheeses and allow to melt before serving.

Alternatively, I prefer to allow my chicken to cook in my crock pot all day. Place the chicken broth, the chicken, the onions, garlic and carrots in your crock pot and simmer on low for 6 hours. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Put the chicken back in the broth and add the packet of ranch mix, the pasta and the buffalo sauce. Continue to cook on low for about 30 minutes. Add in your cheeses and allow to melt.

You can serve it with carrot and celery sticks or perhaps a nice baguette. We garnished with cheddar crumbles.
Disclaimer

No comments: