Sunday, January 19, 2014

Caramel Macchiato Biscotti



I never thought that I liked biscotti. Although out of fairness, I hadn't ever tried one either. When I would see them in a display case or the type that come in an individual wrapper, all I could think is that they were dry, hard cookies that you had to dunk to enjoy, well and most contained nuts which I generally don't eat. Then, I got a bag of chocolate chip biscotti at the new Market District store that had opened nearby. I decided that this was my chance to try them - just plain chocolate chip biscotti. They were lighter in color and had no nuts. I found that I enjoyed them, they were crisp, but not hard. Everyone in the family enjoyed them.

We tried to buy them at our local Giant Eagle, but they don't carry them. Since we couldn't buy them, I decided to try to make them at home. And, off I went to search for some options. I tried a chocolate chip one first and then a banana chocolate chip. I really liked the chocolate chip and had found many other recipes along the way that sounded interesting. The chocolate chip ones that I had made were about the right texture and I was trying to find out why they were softer than others and it was in searching for how to make them 'softer' that I came upon this recipe. I opted to skip the glaze that the original recipe called for. I had some trouble finding the caramel bits, but I finally found the Kraft Caramel Bits in the baking aisle at the local super center.

These Caramel Macchiato Biscotti have been a hit with everyone that has tried them. I even used them as teacher's gifts for my son and took in some to all of my team members at work too.

Caramel Macchiato Biscotti

makes about 15 slices

6 tablespoons butter softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon fine grind espresso
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour
1/2 cup caramel bits

Yield: 15 pieces

In a mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar until creamy. Mix in eggs, espresso powder and vanilla. Add flour and baking powder, stirring until combined. Fold in caramel bits. Batter will be sticky.

Form into a flattened log that is about 3" wide.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove and cool about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325.

Cut into 1 inch slices and arrange slices upright on pan. Bake an additional 20 minutes.

Cool and store in an airtight container.

Serve on their own, with coffee, milk, tea or hot chocolate.

Disclaimer

No comments: