Sunday, January 12, 2014

Chicken Paprikash with Dumplings

I am always on the hunt for new ways to enjoy familiar favorites. Lately, I have been doing a lot of my exploring of new recipes on Pinterest. For the most part, I look at what my friends are posting and check them out.

The other day, when I was scanning through recent pins by my friends on Pinterest, I came across a post for Chicken Paprikash. Anytime I hear the words Chicken Paprikash, I can't help but think of scene from When Harry Met Sally when they are talking funny and he says that there is too much pepper in my paprikash. Can you believe that movie is 25 years old this year? I need to not know things like that, it makes me feel old!

Anyway, I don't know that I had ever had Chicken Paprikash and after reading the recipe, I decided I would give it a try. I changed things up a bit when I prepared it. I started making my dumplings in the water, but they say seemed to lack flavor, so I decided to just prepare them directly in the broth/gravy. I also used less sour cream than the original recipe called for.

Chicken Paprikash

Serves: 8

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small vidalia onion
2 tablespoons paprika
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
water
4 chicken bouillon
1 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups water
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

In a large pot, or pressure cooker, saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat. Cook until transparent. Stir in the paprika. Add the chicken and brown on each side. Add water and simmer for 30 minutes (or cook in pressure cooker). Remove the chicken to a strainer to allow to cool. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, flour and seasoned salt. Whisk in to the broth at a low heat and allow to thicken. Separate the chicken and put back into the broth. Raise to a medium heat. Combine eggs, water, flour and salt in a bowl. Drop by the spoonful into the boiling broth. Allow to cook about 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls to serve.

The dish was enjoyed by my husband and I. My son made a comment, before even tying a bite, that he didn't like chicken, so my daughter immediately decided she didn't like it either. That is okay, I will make it again, as I am confident that they like it...my son ate a good portion of his. When I packed up the leftovers, there was a lot of the broth/gravy, so I froze that and will add cooked chicken to it for a future meal.

I also came upon this recipe, when I found the YouTube video above. It incorporates tomatoes, which I think could be interesting.

Disclaimer

No comments: