Sunday, March 16, 2014

Crispy Parmesan Wonton Chips

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I had ever purchased wonton or egg roll wrappers at the store, but now it seems to be a semi regular purchase, with one meal option a month using wonton or egg roll wrapers. There is the Buffalo Chicken Rolls (love these), the Chili Lime Shrimp Cups (need to post this one) and baked wonton cheese sticks. I am sure that there are a few others out there. My kids got a new cookbook that has pizza rolls made with egg roll wrappers.

Usually, when we make something, we use most, but not quite all of the wrappers. Knowing that you need to use them within a short period after opening, I generally opt to just use them up right away. Normally, I just slice them up to make crisps - either sweet with Cinnamon Sugar or savory with a bit of salt or chili powder. So, when I came across this recipe that was for Parmesan chips, I figured I would have to make my own version. I changed it up only a little bit - a little less cheese and swapped cooking spray in for the oil - when I made them today, but the result was a success.

I found that 12 wrappers, sliced in half filled my pan. I only made half the recipe today, because my wrappers were frozen and I knew that I could wait to pull the other half from the freezer. On the second batch, I swapped in Onion Salt for the salt and pepper. They were tasty too!

One thing that appeals to me...4 crisps are only 60 calories (according to my recipe software and in alignment with my estimation). They are flavorful, provide a nice crunch and all for only 60 calories.
Crispy Parmesan Wonton Chips

Yield: 24 - 4 piece servings

1 package wonton wrappers
1 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
parsley
salt
pepper

Cut the wonton wrappers in half to form rectangles. Lay wonton pieces out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray with olive oil cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes or until wontons are brown and crispy.

Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.


Disclaimer

No comments: