Sunday, March 16, 2014

Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower with goat cheese

I love a good bowl of soup, especially on a cold winter day. We have had our fair share of those this year and as a result, I have explored a lot of new soup recipes.

I already have a roasted red pepper soup and a cauliflower soup, so when I found a recipe that combined the two, I simply new I had to try it. As an added bonus, it uses goat cheese - another favorite for me.

I adapted it to be a crock pot recipe. I have on occasion, opted to use jarred roasted red peppers and likely will try it with frozen florets at some point too. I roast the cauliflower in the morning, as I assemble the soup in the crock pot.

I find that it makes about 4 generous bowls, which at only 125 calories a piece*, is a great option for a flavorful meal. I typically serve it with salad and a nice French Baguette, to make it a meal.
Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower with goat cheese
Serves: 4

4 red bell peppers
1 head cauliflower
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon thyme
1 pinch red pepper flake
1 teaspoon paprika
4 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
4 ounces goat cheese
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place red peppers on baking sheet and bake 20-30 minutes until peppers are charred. Remove from oven and cover with foil 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to 350.

Cut cauliflower into florets. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and lightly spray cauliflower with olive oil cooking spray. Roast in oven until tender and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.

Uncover peppers, peel off skin and remove stem and seeds. Chop into large pieces and place into crock pot. Add the roasted cauliflower.

Add the seasonings, water and bouillon to the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Use an immersion blender to puree, leaving behind chunks to your preference.

Season with salt and pepper and stir in goat cheese until it melts.

*according to my recipe software and in alignment with my estimation.

Disclaimer

No comments: