Saturday, July 16, 2011

Spiced Apples & Apple Enchiladas

Recently, we had the opportunity to participate in an Iron Chef Dinner Party, where one of the ingredients was apples. I bought a bag of apples at the local orchard and there were a lot more apples in the bag than I thought there were. I have been making other things using apple to use some of them up (we already had a bag of "eating" apples). When we go out to dinner, the kids always like to get spiced apples. I decided that would be a nice way to use up some apples. I figured, they can't be too difficult to make and so I set out to make them. I like how the brown sugar does a little bit of caramelizing when you cook it in the butter, giving the sauce a little something extra.

Spiced Apples
4 Apples
1/4 c Butter
1/4 c Brown Sugar
1/4 c Sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1 c Apple Juice (or water)
1 Tbsp Cornstarch

Cut the apples into chunks (I left the peel on, but you could peel the apples first). Melt butter in skillet. Add apples, stirring often. Allow the apples to soften. Add the sugar and cinnamon, continuing to stir. Cook for a few minutes.

Stir the cornstarch into the juice (or water). Add to the apples and bring to a boil, stirring often. When sauce thickens, remove from the heat.

Serve warm.

Then, the other day, we had a picnic with friends and I was looking to make a dessert. I decided on Apple Enchiladas and decided that the Spiced Apples would be a perfect fit for the dish.

Apple Enchiladas
Spiced Apples
5 - Burrito Size Flour Tortillas

Fill the tortillas with the spiced apples. Wrap like a burrito and place in a greased baking dish, seam side down. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

We cut them in half, getting 10 servings.

Disclaimer

No comments: