Sunday, July 24, 2011

Salisbury Steak

Salisbury Steak is one of those dishes that I have always enjoyed, but generally only ever have as part of a frozen meal. Looking for some new flavors to interject into our menu, I decided to try some Salisbury Steak for dinner. I had my ideas about how to make a Salisbury Steak and as I looked across various sites, discovered that I was headed in the right direction.

20 oz Ground Turkey (you could use beef)
1 can French Onion Soup
1/2 c breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper, to taste
flour, for dredging
1/4 c white wine
1 small onion sliced
1/4 c ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire
1/4 c water
brown gravy, packet prepared as directed or canned

In a bowl, combine the turkey, 1/2 the can of soup, the breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, salt and pepper. Shape into patties (I got about 8). Place flour on plate, dredge the patties in the flour.

Add a small amount of oil to a skillet. Add the patties and brown on both sides. Remove from pan.

Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Reduce heat to medium and add the onions and the remaining flour from the plate. Allow to saute for a couple of minutes.

Combine the remaining soup, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, water and gravy. Whisk together until smooth. Add to the pan.

Place the patties back into the pan and allow to cook for about five more minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.

I really enjoyed this dish, as did my kids. My husband was not a big fan. I should say that he doesn't like meatloaf and the gravy tasted very meatloaf like to me. I likely would omit the ketchup next time, in hopes that it would be more appealing to my husband.

No comments: