Friday, March 9, 2012

S'mores Cookie Bars

You have to love it when your 8 year old tells you at 6 am that he needs to bring cookies to school today. You have to love it even more when you discover that you have no eggs in the house. I had to quickly improvise and come up with some sort of a cookie that he could take to school. It couldn't take too much prep time and it had to include zero eggs. After some thought, I decided on S'more Cookie Bars. Now I have a fancy recipe that I love to make that includes eggs and marshmallow creme, but I knew that wasn't an option. I only had 'big' marshmallows, so I cut them down with kitchen shears to be mini marshmallows - I had to toss them with some powdered sugar so that they remained pieces. I had to use a small pack of Hershey Dropps, some mini candy bars and some mini chocolate chips to come up with enough chocolate. Fortunately, once they are cooked, you can't as easily see the hodge-podge.

S'mores Cookie Bars
1/2 c butter
1/2 c firmly packed, brown sugar
3/4 c flour
1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
7 oz Milk Chocolate
2 c miniature marshmallows

Beat together the butter and sugar, add in the flour and graham cracker crumbs. Mix to combine. Press into the bottom of a sprayed 8x8 square pan. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.

Top with the chocolate and then sprinkle with the marshmallows.
Put back into the oven for 5 minutes. Then, turn on broiler and 'toast' the marshmallows for about 2 minutes, until a nice golden brown.

Cool and cut into squares.
Disclaimer

No comments: