Thursday, December 15, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Brown Sugar & Spice Cutout

When it comes to holiday cookies, for the most part I like to simple to simple cookies. Not necessarily simple in recipe, but simple in delivery. To me, the best cookies are ones that can be enjoyed anytime, anywhere. There are some cookies that I make for others, but there is one cookie that I make for myself, because I love them - Brown Sugar & Spice Cutouts. I'm not really sure where I found this recipe, but I know I tried it the first time because I like spice cookies (generally molasses based, but this one is not), but continue to make it every year because I enjoy the flavor.


Brown Sugar & Spice Cutouts
1 c light brown sugar
1/2c butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F.

Beat brown sugar and butter in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until creamy. Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add to the sugar mixture.

On a well floured surface, roll out half of the dough at a time to 1/8" thickness. Cut into shapes with floured cookie cutters. Bake 12-15 minutes.

Decorate.

Some thoughts...I tend to refrigerate the dough before rolling it out, probably because my regular cut out dough is supposed to be refrigerated, but also because I think it makes it easier to work with. Although they are delicious without any frosting, I usually frost at least half of them and when I do, I always add maple extract to my favorite frosting when decorating these cookies. (my frosting is a butter/powdered sugar frosting) I tend to use a smaller cookie cutter for these than for my regular cut out cookies.

Disclaimer

No comments: