Friday, December 16, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Eggnog Cookies

Eggnog cookies were a new try for me this year. I was a little unsure of what recipe to try, so I tried two.

The first I had found in a local grocery ad. The cookies are chewy and perhaps a little doughy.

The second I had in my collection of to try someday recipes. The cookies are definitely more dense and snowball like.

Both cookies I topped with a powdered sugar glaze, that I enhanced by using eggnog instead of milk or water.

Eggnog Cookie #1
(not sure why this image rotated?)
1 c butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 c eggnog
3 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar, until fluffy. Add egg and eggnog, mix. Add dry ingredients, stirring between additions. Using a spoon, drop on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

I got about 5 dozen cookies.

Eggnog Cookies #2
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup eggnog
4 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
7 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar, until fluffy. Add vanilla extract, milk, and eggs, mix to combine. When the mixture is smooth and consistent, add the baking powder and salt and the flour one cup at a time.

When the dough is no longer sticky (you may need a little more flour), roll into 3/4” balls and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are a light golden brown. Cool on cooling racks.

I got about 6 dozen cookies.

Powdered Sugar Glaze
1 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp eggnog
1 tsp corn syrup

Stir to combine. Add additional eggnog as needed for the right consistency.

Once I had removed my cookies from the pans, I topped them with a bit of glaze and some sugar sprinkles. Allow the glaze to dry before storing.

I like the result of both cookies, but for different reasons. I'm actually tempted to meet in the middle on the key ingredients and see what happens. (or maybe I will see if there are some recipes out there that are already in the middle)

Disclaimer

No comments: