Monday, December 19, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Fudge

When I was growing up, I remember Thanksgiving being the start of Fudge season (is there such a thing?). After Thanksgiving Day with my mom's family, we would head down to my dad's brother's house to enjoy the evening with them. The two things I remember most (at least from a food perspective) are fruit salad with Pomegranates and Fudge.

The recipe that I have for fudge is the one that my mom always has made. I think that it had it's origins on the back of a jar of Kraft Marshmallow Creme, but to me is simply my mom's recipe.
Fudge
3/4 c Butter
3 c Sugar
2/3 c (5 oz can) Evaporated Milk
12 oz Chocolate Chip
7 oz Marshmallow Creme
1 tsp vanilla

Mix butter, sugar and evaporated milk in a saucepan and bring to a full, rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in chocolate chips until melted. Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Pour into greased pan. Cool at room temperatures.

Sure, you could add nuts, but you see, I don't eat nuts, so I don't normally think about "messing up" good chocolate by adding nuts. You would just mix them in, in the last step.

You want to select a saucepan that is big enough to accommodate all of the ingredients and some extra space for stirring when you first add the marshmallow and it hasn't started to melt in. I suppose you could change the flavor by changing your chips, but I am a chocolate purist, so I haven't tried that.

Disclaimer

No comments: