Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

As I mentioned before, each year it seems that I find an opportunity to try a new recipe or two. This year, I found myself with a bag of fine-grind espresso and went off looking for some recipes. Always a fan of chocolate, it was hard for me to pass on this recipe, which was originally shared by The Naptime Chef (great name! - how much of my cooking and baking used to be done while the children slept) on Food52.

I love how the espresso enhances the chocolate flavor. I learned in searching for recipes that the famous Neiman-Marcus chocolate chip cookie recipe, that is part of urban legend that someone paid a ton of money for, uses coffee in it too. This cookie was such a hit at the office, I think I shared the recipe with 3 or 4 people (normally, people like cookies, but they don't ask for the recipe).

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

1 1/8 c butter, softened (2 1/4 sticks)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Kosher salt
2 tbsp instant espresso powder
12 ounces chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Then, add eggs one at time, mixing after each addition.

In a separate bowl mix together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. Mixing on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoon on a cookie sheet about 2" apart. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and serve.

I was able to get just over 5 dozen cookies from this recipe. They seem to be the right size cookie for me.

Disclaimer

No comments: