Thursday, December 22, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Caramel Tassies

Growing up, I can always remember my mom making Pecan Tassies. I thought it was so cool that she was making these little pie cookies, but not being a nut eater, I wouldn't touch them. Then, one year, when I was living in Pittsburgh, I found a recipe in the newspaper that I knew that I needed to try. It was called Caramel Tassies. They were cute little caramel filled pies. I used these for cookie exchanges that first year and then made them as part of my regular rotation. I skipped them this year, but think I will make them again soon.

Caramel Tassies

Shell
1 c butter
8 oz cream cheese
2 c flour

Cream together the butter and cream cheeese. Add the flour to make a soft dough. Press on the bottom and up sides of a mini-muffin pan. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes and remove tarts from pan. Set on a cooling rack to cool.

Filling
14 oz caramels
1/2c (4 oz) evaporated milk
1 tbsp whiskey

Mix above ingredients in a double boiler. Stir occasionally until mixture is melted and smooth. Place a teaspoonful of filling in each tart shell and allow filling to set for an hour.

Topping
1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortening
2/3 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c + 2 tbsp evaporated milk

Cream butter and shortening. Slowly add sugar and milk. Beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat for another few minutes. Using a piping bag (or a ziploc bag with a corner cut), pipe the topping on each tart.

Disclaimer

No comments: